Since the months before and after the birth of a baby can be hectic, the first step of the planning process should be discussing the date with the mom-to-be.
Weekend or weekday
Saturday and Sunday are the most popular for baby showers, especially in the afternoon. Weekdays are ideal for office baby showers and local coffee parties. Also, check the calendar for holiday seasons and special events that might conflict with your date.
Reasons for hosting before the birth
- The mom-to-be will have time to sort through her presents, set up the nursery and shop for items she’s missing.
- She’ll be able to relax and enjoy herself instead of feeding her newborn, changing nappies and dying for some shut-eye.
- Hosting a baby shower before the birth can provide the mom-to-be with much-needed emotional support, a dose of fun and friendly companionship.
Reasons for hosting after the birth
- The shower can double as a meet-the-baby party.
- Now that guests know the gender, size and name of the baby, it’ll be easier for them to buy or make gifts.
- This type of shower works well for adopting parents since they aren’t always sure about when they can collect their baby.
Whatever the choice, the reason for getting everyone together doesn’t change: celebrating the (impending) arrival of a beautiful new baby!